Thursday, July 30, 2009

Decision 2009

Boy. Looking at that title makes me think we’re having another political election. You know, the day when we replace the old thieves, liars, and philanderers with brand-spanking-new thieves, liars, and philanderers.

VOTE Sarah Palin for Court Jester in 2012!

Okay, enough of politics and on to real business.

As many of you know, my health is not good. I know I’ve been saying it for a long time, but the decline has been slower than many others with emphysema because of my relative youth, stronger heart, and no respiratory infections (or hospitalizations) since April 2008. The keyword is “slower,” not stopped: breathing is harder even with an increase in oxygen, and I have a lot of pain in the muscles around my ribs. There are other complications as well, but I won't go into those. The overall result is I spend more time in bed conserving energy and less time on the computer.

With less computer time—a couple hours here, an hour or two there—I did a scientific time/use study with the technical equipment I pulled out of my rectal area. The results are back from the lab, and I have decided to concentrate on this, my blog. I am giving up the social aspect of LibraryThing, but I will continue to use it to catalog my books.

Books. I spend a lot of time with them, and I try to review those that made a strong impression on me or that I think will be of interest to the general reader. This is not a book-specific blog, however, so there are a few snoots out there who shun me. Those of you who know me know my reaction to shunning: fuck ‘em.

No, I don’t want any kind of specific or dedicated blog, so I am going to continue with the general crap too. I have five little movies that flew under the radar to review, an author to roast, and of course, life with Martha and the hounds. If I’m reading the lab results correctly, I’m going to do what I damn well please. I figure if you don't like a certain post, you're smart enough to move on to another blog.

That brings up a final point. I get behind on reading your blogs, but I get there eventually. I don’t always comment if I don’t have anything worthwhile to say—not to mention that I have always hated those itty-bitty-shitty comment boxes that make you do your own HTML.

Blogging is my first love and I am going to continue just as long as I am able. In other words, you're stuck with me.

10 comments:

Barlinnie said...

Good for you Charlie pal. You're a welcome visitor across at my place anytime.

Kim Ayres said...

You write what you like and we'll comment, tell you you're speaking bollocks, or ignore you completely.

No change there then :)

Wandering Coyote said...

I know you do your best and I'm glad you're going to keep blogging. I always look forward to your posts!

Anonymous said...

Well, crap. That means I have to fight with this site (which my computer at work doesn't like at all, at all) in order to communicate with you. You're just lucky I find you irascible, er, I mean irresistible.

savannah said...

as you wish

one of my favorite princess bride lines, sugar! i'll keep reading if you keep posting! xoxox

Barbara Bruederlin said...

You had me scared for a while there as I started reading your post, Charlie, I thought you were breaking up with us.

Darling, you are welcome to lurk around my blog anytime you like, and you know I will always be camped outside of your door.

Joyce said...

You know, there's nothing like staring at the end of life to keep you focused on real things. I'm not in the position you are, Charlie, but I'm 72 and not a day goes by that I don't think of my own mortality. And I get pickier about time spent every day.

It's interesting to me, what counts. I suppose that in an ideal world, I'd be spending as much time outside as I could, but i do love computer games; I try to notice whatever I'm feeling guilty about--and then go do more of it! :-) Somehow, in my own twisted thinking, that seems to be a great guide!

Unknown said...

Good for you... and some of us know more than others that life is short... so as say.."F"..them! Take Care.

ditzymoi said...

I know I have been a bad blogger friend and my posting has been shit for over a year (and i keep moving my blog)...but you are the first person I check on when I am catching up on my blogger peeps.

I love your style, your " F*ck them" attitude and I for one (one of many) look forward to all your posts, whether they are about books or pets or how you most recently are torturing Martha!

*big hugs*

Mary Witzl said...

Somebody out there snubs you? Somebody really snubs YOU? Let me know who it is and I'll go and snub whoever it is.