Simon & Schuster Audio; Unabridged edition, 2009
Number of Discs: 5
Running Time: Approx. 5 hours
Just in time for Halloween! Oh. Wait a minute. Halloween was the other day. Well then, just in time for next Halloween!
In 1994, King published a book of short stories titled Nightmares & Dreamscapes. 912 pages of short stories, including a non-fiction piece about his son's baseball team (Steve is a big fan of the sport). The entire book was never released on audio cassette; Highbridge Audio claimed an unabridged collection, but it was really just a few unabridged selections from the book.
In July, Simon & Schuster changed that with the release of six audiobooks on CD. And they did it up right: each story is read by a famous person, mostly actors, who give the stories their actorly best. To me, the readings were similar to recording the soundtrack for an animated film: lively, different "voices" for different characters, and just plain fun.
Dolan's Cadillac is the first in the series, and this is the lineup (a bow to baseball):
1. King reads his Introduction.
2. A school teacher discovers her students are not what they seem in Suffer the Little Children, read by Whoopi Goldberg.
3. In Crouch End, read by Tim Curry, a woman fears that supernatural events may have led to her husband's disappearance. (Curry is excellent!)
4. In Rainy Season, read by Yeardley Smith, a young couple is forced into the ultimate battle of Man vs. Nature when torrential rain turns deadly.
5. A widowed husband spends seven years plotting revenge for his wife's murder in Dolan's Cadillac, a long story read by Rob Lowe.
I like S&S's modular approach to this big book of King's tales. The CDs are packaged nicely in a fold-out similar to some DVD sets. Each module retails for $10.19 (US) at Amazon, or they can be dowloaded from Audible.com if you're a member. If you like King, like short stories, and commute, one of these sets may strike your fancy.
The following links take you to the other five sets (with a major reader) for your perusal: Chattery Teeth (Kathy Bates), Sorry, Right Number (a full cast), It Grows On You (Grace Slick), The End of the Whole Mess (Matthew Broderick), and The House on Maple Street (Robert B. Parker).
* * * * *
Story lines (numbers 2-5) are from Amazon.com product information for Dolan's Cadillac.
[A note to WC: I know you don't "do" King, so don't waste a perfectly good comment to tell me you don't "do" King.]